![]() |
| Darwin's finches |
p2 + 2pq + q2 = 1
Initially this equation doesn’t look too inviting, however it is quite simple. “p2” stands for the frequency of homozygous dominant alleles in the population, “2pq” is the frequency of heterozygous alleles and you can probably guess that “q2” stands for the frequency of homozygous recessive alleles. This equation can be used to predict and describe what alleles and their frequency are in the population.
Along with learning about the Hardy Weinberg equation, we discussed the five conditions that must be met for a population to stay the same and have no alterations in frequencies. These five conditions are:
Large population, random mating, no mutations, no movement, no natural selection
![]() |
| Stickleback fish with and without pelvic spines |
Overall, this unit was very interesting, as it looked at the broader picture of life and evolution. The various in class activities and labs we did helped our understanding and I’m looking forward to see what we’re learning next! Thanks for reading!
Gould, John. Darwin's Finches. Digital image. Wikimedia. Wikimedia, 27 Feb. 2012. Web. 15 Feb. 2015. <http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Darwin%27s_finches_by_Gould.jpg>.
Shapiro. Convergent Pelvic Loss. Digital image. Shapiro Laboratory. University of Utah, n.d. Web. 15 Feb. 2015. <http://biologylabs.utah.edu/shapiro/Shapiro_Lab/Research.html>.


I did enjoy reading this post Elina- but it did remind me of how much biology I have forgotten! I also look forward to seeing and reading about your ext topic in AP bio.
ReplyDelete