Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Round up- Fetal Pig Dissection

IMG_1091  IMG_1100 IMG_1090
 The past two weeks have been packed with fun and educational activities. We are 14 away from the AP test and learning our last bit of information!
Dissection.. many people cringe at the thought, but I get excited! We were lucky enough to be able to dissect fetal pigs in class! At the beginning we were put into groups and had jobs: cutting, reading or writing. I chose cutting and was super excited to get to explore the different systems of the pig. I have dissected a few times before so I was prepared for everything. The smell does not bother me, but looking at the little pigs face does make me a little sad. Once we started cutting I got over it and quickly got so into the dissection.
We went through the body systems looking at the organs and structures involved. It is one thing to read about something in a book but a totally other thing to actually touch something and see it. For example feeling the difference in the small intestine and large intestine can tell you so much about function. This was a great way to review for not only the AP test, but also our upcoming practical on the body systems.
IMG_1094
My favorite part was looking at the heart. The heart is so interesting to me and being able to hold it in my hands was so cool and fascinating. Looking at the heart I was able to differentiate some of the different parts.
IMG_1101
Holding the real pig heart I was able to feel the thickness of the aorta and the thinness of the atrium. We cut into the atrium slightly to see that it actually is a thin layer. Seeing characteristics like these help me understand more about heart and each of its structures and functions. To me the heart really was my favorite part and learning about the circulatory system. This system is one of my favorites to learn about.
Unknown-1
Overall, the fetal pig dissection was a successful activity to learn more about the body systems. I loved dissection the pig and it was a great way to have fun while learning!!
“Heart Diagram.” Wikimedia. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 Apr. 2015.
Pictures taken by me and other lab members

No comments:

Post a Comment