When I was a junior in high school, I contracted mono. I had a fever for 2 weeks straight and was too tired to get out of bed most of the time. Although sleeping the majority of the day might sounds desirable to some, it does get quite boring after a while. During my time being sick, I was actually interested by what exactly mono is, so for my virus infographic, I decided to learn all about the infection that plagues 50% of teens in the US!
What causes mono is the Epstein-Barr Virus:

EBV will insert itself into a B Cell, which is a lymphocyte responsible for producing antibodies. This virus will end up living inside its host and spreading itself through bodily fluids such as saliva. If contracted early in life, one most likely will not contract any symptoms. However, if infected in their teen years, the recipient of EBV will most likely develop mono.

Works Cited:
“9 Fascinating Mononucleosis Statistics.” HRFnd, 23 Oct. 2014, healthresearchfunding.org/9-mononucleosis-statistics/.
“50 Years of Epstein-Barr Virus.” Cancer Research UK – Science Blog, scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2014/03/26/50- years-of-epstein-barr-virus/.
Carnahan, J. Epstein-Barr Virus. http://www.jillcarnahan.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/Epstein-Barr.jpeg.
Embe2006. “Illustration: Open Mouth.” Search Results, http://www.megapixl.com/open-mouth-illustration-40383700.
“Epstein-Barr Virus and Infectious Mono.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 14 Sept. 2016, http://www.cdc.gov/epstein-barr/about-ebv.html.
Staff, Dr. Oz. “The Secret Life of the Epstein-Barr Virus.” The Dr. Oz Show, The Dr. Oz Show, 12 Feb. 2015, http://www.doctoroz.com/article/secret-life-epstein-barr-virus.
Solan, Matthew. “Don’t Take Fatigue Lying Down.” Harvard Health Blog, 18 Apr. 2017, http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/dont-take-fatigue-lying-2017041411485.
No comments:
Post a Comment