Wednesday, March 4, 2020

save the bay post-field trip blog by kaitlin kiesel

Hi Guys!
Yesterday my AP Bio Team and I went on a field trip to Baylands Nature Preserve with the organization "Save The Bay." During this trip, I was able to see how field data was collected and how we can do our part to preserve the marshlands that are vital to all living organisms.


This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is screen-shot-2020-03-05-at-8.51.06-am.png
Here is a picture of my teammates and I walking on the levee and enjoying the beautiful view!

3 Pieces of Scientific Information I learned:
  1. There are many invasive species that pose a threat to the native species in that area. For example, fennel (the plant used to make black licorice) took over many areas where trees and grass were planted to filter out waste and debris.
  2. The San Francisco Bay is one of Northern California's largest Estuary's.
  3. The bay needs 100,000 acres of wetlands in order to thrive.
Connection To The Classroom
  1. Save The Bay's mission directly relates to citizen science through the act of volunteering to better our earth. They truly believe that small acts can create meaningful changes to our environment. In class, I have been learning a lot about different organisms and how they all contribute different things to our earth. For example, most of the oxygen in our atmosphere comes from plants in the ocean that partake in the process of photosynthesis (phytoplankton being one of them!). Estuaries provide habitat for 75% of the US Commercial fish catch which directly impacts the lives of humans. Through the collection and analyzation of field data and biodiversity in the area, my teammates and I directly impacted the efforts to conserve these marshlands!



This image has an empty alt attribute; its file name is image.png

One thing I will remember forever is the snake that I saw crossing the levee!




Final Thoughts: Overall, I had the most amazing experience going on this field trip with my AP Bio class. Not only was it fun learning in the sun but being able to stop and appreciate the little things we take for granted everyday was so peaceful. The SF Bay supports so much wildlife and we should all do our part to preserve it as much as we can! Coming back from this field trip motivated me to limit my use of plastic and order more reusable snack bags on amazon! Stay tuned for another blog post on my next field trip:)

No comments:

Post a Comment