The documentary Ghost in Your Genes by Nova productions educates about a new discovery that answers the questions of why identical twins aren't exactly identical. The answer is, epigenetics.

The epigenome is made up of molecules above the genes and determine whether or not the gene is expressed or silenced. A common type of an epigenetic change is DNA methylation. Chemical tags, called methyl groups are attached to DNA strands and can regulate the proteins the gene encodes for, turning the gene on or off. When the methyl group "hugs" the gene, the gene is not read by the cell, and therefore not expressed.

I was particularly interested in the identical twin studies because I'm also an identical twin. I've pondered over the nature vs. nurture debate and knew that my twin and I were different but because of our DNA. I feel incredibly enlightened and glad I learned epigenetics. I even told my twin sister about it and she was fascinated. However, I wonder what causes twins to be conjoined? It's hard to believe that this just happens sporadically but knowing how unpredictable biology is, I also wouldn't be surprised.
Watching the documentary also made me feel relieved because epigenetics is evidence that not everything relies 100% on DNA. I felt like I had more control over my life, and that the way I take care of my body and mental health is impactful. Because of epigenetics, I feel more motivated to take care of myself, and to encourage others to take care of themselves too!
I'm most exilirated about what's to come from epigenetic research. I know that someday there will be a way to treat cancer through gene therapy or some type of epigenetic therapy that will combat the uncontrollable division of cancer cells. My hope is that one day I could be a part of that research that may change the way we diagnose and treat diseases. Maybe there will be a way to eradicate them entirely!
No comments:
Post a Comment