How does the human body really look like from the inside? During my AP Biology class, we dissected a fetal pig to learn more about the body systems as fetal pigs have a similar body system to us, humans. We were all required to submit a form rating our comfortability with certain tasks before getting assigned a group to be a part of. Then, each group was given a fetal pig to dissect with the proper lab equipments and handouts. Lastly, we were to identify each body system and match the body system to what was given in the Fetal Pig Dissection packet.

Overall the lab was very interesting and also somewhat, hard to watch. I personally did not touch the fetal pig because I was not comfortable with touching and dissecting, so I left that job to the rest of my group. I helped with reading the instructions on the lab packet and helping identify the structures in each body system. I found it very interesting how our anatomy is similar to that of a pig, though we are somewhat close in the phylogenetic tree. I also learned more about each body system, where each body system was located, and more about the the different structures of each body system. For example, I learned more about the circulatory system and the different structures in the system, like the aorta and the subclavian arteries. I learned the difference between a female and a male fetal pig, specifically in each pigs reproductive system. Each pig had different, visible reproductive parts. For example, the male had his testicles while the female had oviducts. I found it very interesting when looking at the differences between a male and a female fetal pig.

The main challenge we had to face throughout the lab was mainly trying to label each part of the body system of the fetal pig and trying to match which part was what, based on a diagram and some definitions of the organ structures. We managed to overcome these challenges by critical thinking and logic, using what we knew. We also made a guess on a few and checked them later. There was some struggle with cutting the pig, though we managed to bypass that. I have no curious questions about anything so far. Overall, the fetal pig lab was a fun lab to do. I really enjoyed learning about the different parts in the pig.

No comments:
Post a Comment