
“Everybody is passionate-You don't do this kind of work to make money. You do it because you love it.” — Dr. Jim Allison.
Biology impacts everyone on the planet. In my life, I have learned so much about evolution and growth. I began to love understanding why things are the way they are when I went tide pooling with my Dad and sister as a 7-year-old. I loved looking at the sea urchin and sea stars. Not only that, but I loved watching the octopus change colors. But most of all, I was fascinated by the systems of the ocean and all the sea creatures. Much like Dr. Jim Allison, we all find a reason to strive for something. Now in my life, I have found an interest in Sports Medicine because of my love for soccer and all the injuries I see around me. For Dr. Allison in the Documentary Breakthrough, he was inspired to study the immune system in relation to cancer because of the death of his mother when he was 11 years old, who was sick with lymphoma. If you would like to read more about Dr. Allison’s early life, look at this website.

After watching the documentary, Breakthrough, I began to make connections between the immune system and cancer, and so I was able to deepen my understanding of the immune system after learning about the complex processes in Season 2. I thought the film was very entertaining and thoroughly described how science can change the lives of many. Challenging what one may decide is possible can change the way people think and look at the world.
I learned many things about cancer therapies and research after watching this documentary. One of the main ideas I understood was about the CTLA-4 surface protein on a T-cell. First, a T- cell is a type of white blood cell that fights pathogens in the adaptive immune system. The T-cells recognize antigens on the surface of pathogens to stimulate the production of antibodies against the pathogen. Antigens can be used to mark the pathogen for destruction. If you would like to learn more about the processes of the immune system, watch this Amoeba Sisters Video.
Here is a timeline of How CTLA-4 surface protein works:
- T-cell is activated
- The T-cell recognizes the antigen and responds to the invader
- T-cell is activated
- CTLA-4 is produced
- After activation, receptors are made and move to the surface of the cell
- CTLA-4 is produced
- CTLA-4 binding
- A slowdown signal is sent inside the cell
- T-cell division and activity decrease.
- CTLA-4 binding
- Immune System response in controlled
- CTLA-4 prevents over activation
- Protects against autoimmune damage
- Immune System response in controlled
Dr. Allison's research, he found that cancerous cells that form tumors trick the immune system by turning on CTLA-4, so T-cells will not kill the cancer. By understanding the role of CTLA-4, Dr. Allison could help produce a drug to fight cancer by making an antibody that blocks CTLA-4, so the immune response will still occur.
Dr. Allison’s research stimulated the development of ipilimumab, an antibody that effectively stops the CTLA-4 receptor from putting the brakes on the immune response. This immunotherapy drug drastically shifted the focus of cancer research from radiation and other traditional ways to target the tumor directly to creating medicines to aid the body fight off cancer from within.

By watching the documentary, I also learned more about how drug development works. Ipilimumab was first developed by Medarex, based in San Francisco, and was then bought by Bristol-Myers Squibb, a much larger biotech company. The process of creating the drug took 166 days and had to go through phase 1, 2, & 3 clinical trials which lasted many years.
WHAT ARE CLINICAL TRIALS? (CLICK ME!)

Phase 1 clinical trials test a small number of people and are designed to determine whether a drug is safe or potentially harmful and if 9 out of 10 participants experience failure or serious issues, the trial is stopped. Phase 1 results for ipilimumab showed that tumors disappeared in 3 out of 12 patients. Phase 2 and Phase 3 trials include many more patients, take place over a much longer period of time, and require significantly more funding in order to further test the drug’s effectiveness and safety.
I found this documentary highly educational, and I think by watching the film, I was able to gain a richer and deeper understanding of the immune system and cancer research. When I think of cancer and how people fight cancer, I immediately think of chemotherapy. However, I now know that there is a vast realm of cancer drugs, and as time passes, scientists are continuously looking for better and more successful ways to help millions around the globe.
As Team AP Bio, I want all of my classmates to look at the documentary as a reminder of why each individual has become interested in science. Whether students want to become doctors or veterinarians, each one has a role to play in the lives of people, just like Dr. Jim Allison. I am looking forward to when I can make a difference in the lives of athletes recovering from injuries, and I would like to help women suffering from ACL tears and understand the correlation between ligament tears and the menstrual cycle. Overall, I would like to embody Dr. Allison in the future by using my passion to make a change.
Do what you have a passion for!
<3 Maisie
No comments:
Post a Comment