Introduction:

Applications of Biotech: Forensic Science
Reflection:
Looking back at the project, I realized how much biotechnology has completely changed forensic science. Learning about DNA profiling, toxicology, and fingerprint analysis showed me that solving crimes is just as much about lab precision as it is about investigation. In the slideshow, we explained what forensic evidence actually includes and how samples like blood or saliva get analyzed and compared. The cold case example showed how newer DNA tools can reopen investigations years later, but if I could redo the project, I would focus more on recent breakthroughs in DNA technology itself instead of centering mostly on one case. I also liked that we ended with the privacy question about genetic databases because that sparked real discussion about consent and limits in law enforcement.
There are definitely things I would fix. Some slides had too much text, and stronger visuals would have made everything clearer and more engaging. Breaking down complex processes with diagrams instead of paragraphs would have improved the overall impact.
Visiting the crime lab in San Mateo last year made this topic feel even more real to me. Walking through the different departments and hearing how much detailed work goes into every single test showed me how intense and careful forensic investigations actually are. I also really enjoyed having professionals visit our class junior year DNA analysts, lawyers, and police officers because each one explained their role in the system and how biotechnology affects their job. Hearing directly from people in the field made forensic science feel less like a TV storyline and more like a serious, evolving career built on accuracy and constant scientific improvement.


No comments:
Post a Comment