Wednesday, February 4, 2026

Genetics & Health Symposium: Turner Syndrome - Keira Kennon

Did you know that Turner syndrome affects 1 in every 2,000 to 2,500 live female births? Turner syndrome is a genetic disorder affecting only females, caused by the complete or partial absence of one of the two X chromosomes. Turner syndrome is not inherited and occurs randomly, with symptoms ranging from mild to severe. Some symptoms include short stature, delayed puberty, heart or kidney abnormalities, and infertility. Turner syndrome is usually diagnosed through genetic testing. Early diagnosis and medical care can improve health outcomes and quality of life for patients. For me, learning about Turner syndrome highlighted the importance of genetic awareness, early diagnosis, and medical care in improving the lives of those affected.

Over the last week and a half in AP Bio class, Amelia, Maria, and I explored Turner syndrome in depth through our health symposium project. Though I have heard of Turner syndrome before, I didn’t know how complex the condition is. The health symposium project pushed me to understand the genetic cause of the condition and how the deletion of part or all of an X chromosome can affect the body. My group research helped us explain symptoms, diagnose through genetic testing, and outline treatment options such as hormone therapy, while also highlighting how early medical care can improve long-term health outcomes.

Creating our video on Turner syndrome was a meaningful learning experience, especially in terms of presenting complex information. As a group, we worked to ensure our content was accurate and easy to follow. We chose a patient-doctor scenario to explain Turner Syndrome because this format allowed us to present the information in a realistic and engaging way. Our choice helped show Turner syndrome in a real-life experience and made the topic more personal.

I think my group did a great job with our video, but there are a few areas where we could improve. I think my group could have spent more time discussing the emotional and psychological challenges that people with Turner syndrome may face. Adding information on emotional and psychological challenges would help viewers understand that genetic conditions affect more than just physical health. Another improvement we could have made to our infographics is to have less text. I think that having too many words on the images may overwhelm viewers or distract from what we are talking about. The last improvement we could make is to speak more slowly and clearly throughout the video to make the information easier to understand and not rushed.

One of the biggest challenges my group faced was finding someone to interview who could provide insight into Turner syndrome. At first, we had difficulty finding people who were available and willing to share personal experiences, which was frustrating and time-consuming. However, in the end, we were able to interview both a genetic counselor and a family member of a patient with Turner syndrome. Both perspectives made our video more meaningful and strengthened the overall quality of our presentation by connecting scientific information to human experiences.

Overall, the project strengthened our teamwork and communication skills. Even though we faced some communication issues, I think one of our biggest glows was collaboration. We brainstormed creative ideas together and supported each other when challenges came up. I also think our patient-and-doctor scenario was a strong aspect of our project because the content was engaging and connected medical information to real-life situations. Through the genetics and health symposium, I gained a deeper understanding of Turner syndrome and genetic disorders in general.

No comments:

Post a Comment