Have you ever heard of Huntington’s Disease? Do you know someone affected by HD? I personally had never really heard of HD before this research project for AP Biology. While it may not be the most talked about topic, learning about HD is very important to all people, but can lead to so many advances in medicine when looked at closer. Here is what our team found about Huntington’s Disease:
Our team worked very well and efficiently together and we are so proud of our work! While we couldn’t include parts of our interview with Dr. Jee Bang in the video, during our interview, I was very touched by her stories of patients and families. Dr. Bang mentioned that because we know specifically where the mutation is (chromosome 4) and the specific gene HD effects, if we can find a cure for HD, there would be more basis for possibilities of finding cures for other genetic disorders.
I really loved learning about HD and hope for strides in future research, but one question I continue to ponder… would you rather have your genes sequenced and know you will develop HD from a young age (provided you will not have juvenile HD) aware there is no cure? or not know and one day have gradual cognitive decline?
No comments:
Post a Comment